Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 12:00 AM

"lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas"....I THINK that's it!

Also, it is mathematically impossible to play back to 100% once you have missed one. You might eventually get to 99.99%, but you've still missed one! Kinda like trying to "un-say" something you've said already :-D
Old 09-15-2015, 01:39 AM

Thank you, Gryhnd - I think that must be right! What's really funny is that I'm pretty sure I have solved that one at some point. As for the 99.9 percent, I'm sure you are right, mathematically speaking, but I wonder if it wouldn't eventually get rounded up to 100%?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:01 AM

Greetings all,

This is my first post - I figure I have been around the community long enough to introduce myself.

I have to say I have a great deal of respect for all of the 100%ers out there. Anyone who has seen me on here knows I am quite the opposite. I go for speed and if I think my time is going to be over 35 seconds I usually ditch the puzzle. On some of the hardest - I don't think I've even found a letter. I couldn't imagine the frustration of poring over a puzzle for close to an hour looking for the crack to solve it. Kudos to all of you who do it - it is an admirable goal and I'm always impressed when I see someone achieve it!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:35 AM

Hi, Zach. Welcome to the show!

The first couple of months I did 100%, my time tanked. But then you're solving puzzles you had been skipping because they took too long when you were only going for speed. The next time you see them, they're not as hard, and you can solve them quickly. Within six months, my time had mostly recovered. Now, I'm only a couple of seconds slower than non-100%. Of course, if I lose it for technical reasons, I speed through the rest of the month, and it's definitely a relief not to have to check my percentage every few puzzles.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:56 AM

Hi, Zach, welcome to the forum. you're feelings about spending an hour on a single puzzle is how I feel trying to go fast. I have a slow internet provider, and can't type fast even if I wanted to, so trying to go fast frustrates me. not having to worry about my speed frees me up to spend time on solving the difficult quotes. I get a lot of satisfaction when I solve a puzzle with very low solve rate. I guess it boils down to being competitive, I'm not the fastest, don't have the time to have the most points, but nobody can beat 100 %. so, regardless if I solve 50, or 1000 puzzles this month, I have done my best.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:24 PM

I'm sure we will be seeing some records for Zach, soon. If you've been around for a while. They're probably already there.

I guess I don't go for speed and I'm definitely not a 100%er.

I feel bad if my average goes below 95%, so I try to solve most of them. I'm not very fast either. I'm thrilled that every once in a while, I make it into the top 20 for speed. Because I really do spend a lot of time here, I'm usually able to place in the top 10 for points.

I really enjoy doing what I can do.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:40 PM

Hi, Everyone!
I'm totally amazed by the speed-solvers and totally mystified by the 100%-ers. You all are amazing to me. I like to solve quotes quickly just to see how close I can come to the champions and I like to solve as many as possible only because my favorite part of the game is reading everyone's comments. Sometimes they really do make me LOL. I don't get bummed about solving slowly; mostly I just slap my forehead and groan for being so dense once I finally figure out some incredibly easy quote. If I'm in the mood to spend some time on a quote, well, okay; If I'm not, well, that's okay, too; I can let it go, move on, and never look back. Guess I'm not going to make it to the Crypto-Olympics but I'm having a great time!
Old 09-15-2015, 09:55 PM

well said puzzleme, that's what makes this site so great. if you aren't into speed, that's just fine, and if you aren't into solving 100 %, that's fine too. the main objective is to have a great time. If you enjoy competition, or just find puzzles relaxing, there is something here for everybody
Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM

Problem? No problem here! I quickly figured out it would always bother me if I didn't solve every puzzle I started. When I first found the site I wasn't very fast at all, so having a high percentage was the only way I could get in the top 20 every month and get that little trophy. Sometimes I'll find a puzzle hours later that must have been a double-load... I'm compelled to solve it even if it totally wrecks my time for the month. It's particularly galling if it's a stupid quote, but I solve it anyway.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:50 PM

I have said it before in comments, and in chat, but maybe not here, I am SO impressed by the 100%ers. All of them. Those who always finish in the top 20, to those who don't but just need to do keep 100%. You all do great solving.